Live in the now.
Learning to appreciate (and yes, love) yourself now, instead of stressing about how you’ll feel when reach the next 10 pounds, is an important part of this journey. A growing body of evidence suggests that paying attention to the present without judgement can help you feel more optimistic, have higher self-esteem, and have happier relationships, all of which will enhance your life—and help your weight loss.
Ready to get mindful these five strategies for living in the now.
- Rewrite the scene. Take a problem or situation that’s been on your mind and imagine you are a 6 year old: what would a child say about it?
- Switch your attention. Instead of taking things in by sight, close your eyes and listen. If you’d prefer, take a minute to touch or smell your surroundings.
- Talk to a stranger. Take a minute to say hello to someone you meet while shopping, at the gym, or on your way to work. Meeting someone for the first time engages you, and hey, it’s good to realize that others besides your family, friends, and colleagues have something to offer
- Taste something new. Pick an item that makes you uncomfortable such as undressing at the gym, sunbathing, or having your picture taken. Relax in your body and breathe easily. Then imagine yourself in that uncomfortable position, but instead of feeling all eyes are on you, picture that everyone is actually looking away and going about their business, not sizing you up.
- Raise the question. What would your life be like if you did only what was easy? You don’t have to answer it. Just know it’s a possibility. Let that possibility sink in.